Picture this: students just stepped onto the sprawling campus of their dream university. They are excited, but there is a world of information and resources to explore. How do they connect with their professors, and classmates, or discover upcoming events?
Actually, they do not need to fear. The universities have created a web of connecting channels in the digital age to make the academic journey a breeze.
What is multichannel communication at the university?
It embraces all communication channels, including online and offline. Here are some examples of them:
- Email: Universities use emails for a wide range of communications, from class updates to administrative announcements.
- University Website: It serves as a central hub for information, providing details on programs, events, policies, and more.
- Student Portal: A dedicated online platform for students to access academic information, register for classes, view grades, and interact with university services.
- Social Media: Official accounts on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn keep the community informed about news, events, and campus life.
- Mobile Apps: They allow students to access essential services, such as class schedules, campus maps, and event calendars.
- Learning Management Systems (LMS): These platforms like Canvas, Blackboard, or Moodle facilitate online learning by hosting course materials, assignments, and communication tools.
- Virtual Events: Webinars, virtual open houses, and online career fairs allow remote participation in university events.
- In-Person Events: Workshops, seminars, orientations, and campus tours offer face-to-face interaction.
- Third-Party Messaging Apps: Some universities may use messaging apps like WhatsApp or Slack for group communication and student support.
- Library and Research Portals: Access to academic resources and research materials is often managed through dedicated online portals.
- Career Services Platforms: They connect students with job and internship opportunities and offer career-related resources.
These channels facilitate effective communication and engagement between the university and its various stakeholders. They ensure that information flows smoothly within the academic community. By seamlessly integrating these diverse channels, it creates an exceptional student experience.
Benefits of multichannel approach in student services
In the realm of student services, the primary goal of a university is to streamline the student experience, making it as efficient as possible. The multichannel communication strategy plays a pivotal role in achieving this goal. The main benefits include:
- Make students’ lives easier by not wasting their time. A one-stop hub ensures that they know exactly where to go for questions and help.
- Enable seamless mobile communication at any given moment and location. Digital solutions are always accessible, and students require only a handheld device to communicate. In-person appointments are not necessary.
- A low chance that university staff will miss any case and students will not get help or answers. It is recorded to make it easier to handle.
- The university’s advisors and staff get a 360-degree view of each student. They have all the information and actions about the student at a glance. The solutions they propose are suited to the needs of a particular student.
The multichannel communication strategy is a practical solution. It simplifies the student experience, ensures thorough documentation, and equips our advisors with the necessary tools to offer optimal support.
Examples of multichannel communication in education
The students interact with the university using various channels: phone, email, web chat, social network channels, and more. To respond effectively, universities need tools to deliver the right messages to the right students.
With Service Cloud as a part of Education Cloud, universities get a range of case management tools that streamline communication processes. Here is the list of them:
Short messages, commonly used in repeating scenarios, can be prepared at the forefront. Mostly just to acknowledge the receipt of requested information from students or as a greeting.
List of cases to solve. To solve it efficiently, the service staff decides which skills are needed. The next step is to assign who takes care of each type of case.
Behind this solution stand live agents who support students with individual assistance. Useful to resolve non-typical issues concerning student services, eliminating email chains or unnecessary in-office appointments.
This automation tool has predetermined answers and supports typical questions that are instantly asked.
A base of articles which is searchable and ready to use 24/7. Students and staff find relevant information organized by topic.
Gaining insights with smart reporting in Service Cloud
Effective reporting is the compass that guides organizations towards delivering exceptional service. Service Cloud empowers universities to gain valuable insights through its reporting capabilities. Here’s a glimpse of the key metrics to explore with Service Cloud reporting:
Case opens and closures: It clearly shows your team’s workload and efficiency in resolving customer inquiries.
Time to case closure: Understanding the average time it takes to resolve cases is crucial for maintaining student satisfaction.
Case trends: By recognizing recurring issues, you can implement preventive measures. You can create topics and front-load targeted communications to inform and support your student community.
Variance in case origin: Analyzing the sources from which cases originate (e.g., email, social media) helps allocate resources efficiently. For instance, if most cases come from email, you can allocate more support agents there.
Who asks what: By segmenting cases based on factors like major, demographics, or other variables, you gain insights into specific student needs.
Service Cloud reporting isn’t just about numbers. It is a powerful tool for streamlining student services. Service Cloud boosts efficiency and tailors universities’ support to meet the unique needs of students.
Enter Education Cloud by Salesforce
Today’s students have mastered the art of quick and convenient communication when it comes to staying in touch with family and friends. Mobile messaging apps are their trusty companions, making it easy to share updates, catch up, and keep those bonds strong. It’s a language they’re fluent in.
When students connect with their university, they expect the same level of speed and accessibility. They’re all about quick responses and the convenience of mobile. In this digital age, it’s important for universities to change the student experience from traditional offline methods to a seamless online one.
Students expect the same quick and mobile-friendly approach from their university as they do from their personal connections. With Salesforce, universities can meet those expectations head-on, creating a more connected and responsive academic environment. It’s a win-win for students and institutions alike!